Table of Contents
Trippy: An Introduction and Overview
- Trippy is Pastilla the Mannequin's world-traveling emotionally disturbed plastic lizard. He is a 9-inch squeaking Chinese vinyl reptile (modeled after the Sungazer (Cordylus giganteus) species). He first appeared in public-access Flickr sets taken by Flickr user “trupastilla” (real name Pastilla LaMannequine) in June 2006. Photos were often cross-posted by LaMannequine on her LiveJournal account, “Pastilla.” Though not the first of the “nasty California redneck” characters that Pastilla LaMannequine has described from Humboldt County, California, Trippy is perhaps the most likeable of her photo subjects.
Little is known of Trippy prior to June, 2006.
Trippy was almost run over by Pastilla on June 17, 2006 outside a Starbucks coffee shop in Myrtletown, CA. Relating to his sad, plastic, neurotic and borderline suicidal state, she resolved to adopt him and teach him of the kindness of the world.
According to Pastilla's press agent, the rehabilitation plan for Trippy came during a venti no-fat, no-water, extra hot chai and an orange currant scone. The story is questionable, however, since orange currant scones weren't available at Starbucks until September 2006. Also, Pastilla's standard story that the lizard was at one time real is also questionable, as Pastilla LaMannequine also claims that she has, at times, been real herself, when she is quite clearly an inanimate object.
Spoiler warning: Plot and/or ending details follow. (Highlight to read.)
Trippy never improves.
Spoiler ends here.
Trippy is truly a deranged-looking lizard. His mouth is always open, and his tongue perpetually curls in different directions. One leg is shorter than the others, so he appears to travel through life on a dangerously insane tilt.
Pastilla took Trippy to the Humboldt Natural History Museum (Arcata, CA), where he was identified by a competent young museum worker as “some kind of spiny lizard.” Later that day, he attacked a dachshund, allegedly because the dog wore pink nail polish and a diamond collar.
- Computer Camp, Silicon Valley, CA
- Costa Rica
- United States of America
Provinces & States (North America)
- British Columbia (CN)
- Alaska (US)
- Arizona (US)
- California (US)
- Colorado (US)
- Hawaii (US)
- Maryland (US)
- Massachusetts (US)
- New Mexico (US)
- Oregon (US)
- Utah (US)
- Washington (US)
- Washington, D.C. (US)
Abrupt Flight and Relocation
In late December 2009 Trippy abruptly fled Humboldt County, California, USA. Unreliable bleary-eyed witless testimony suggests that as of early 2010 Trippy had taken up residence in a remote location on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada. Anecdotal evidence, to date unconfirmed, suggests Trippy may have previously spent time in this region during the American military presence in southeast Asia (1959 - 1975).
The Groves of Academe
As of mid-2014, Trippy is serving in an administrative advisory capacity at a major technology university in Ontario, Canada.
"The Trippy Song"
Trippy has no theme song. And he’s bloody annoyed about it.
Fine Art Depictions of Trippy
- Unfortunate Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade Balloon Incident (Need citation)
- Adidas Your World Campaign by Adidas
- Sobe Life Water NYC Campaign by Sobe
- International Travel Expert: Drinking Imperial Pilsner in Costa Rica
- International Travel Expert: BeachGuide.org: Hukilau Beach
- International Travel Expert: LifeHacker: Frequent Flier Miles (September 2012)
- Respected Authority Figure: The Write Practice: Writing Goals (November 2012)
- International Travel Expert: Map Happy: Changing a Flight (December 2013)
- International Travel Expert: The Manual - Essential Guide for Men: Best International Beers (July 2014)
- International Travel Expert: Huffington Post: Top Ten Elvis Tribute Sites (January 2015)
- Respected Authority Figure: Knowledge Stew: Completely Useless Facts (April 2015)
- International Travel Expert: USA Today: Frequent Flier Miles (July 2015)
- Highly Qualified Life Coach: The Daily Dot: 50 Things to Do (#15) (February 2016)
- International Travel Expert: Only In Your State: Ten Charming Alaska River Towns (April 2016)
- International Travel Expert: Only In Your State: Eleven Things No Self-Respecting Arizonan Would Ever Do (March 2017)
- International Travel Expert: The Weirdest Town in America (May 2017)
- International Travel Expert: Only In Your State: The Longest Tunnel in America (August 2017)